This month’s orienteering: April 2014
… not “This week’s orienteering …” as before since there’s not much on locally in April.
Firstly, well done to the 3ROC winners and others at last Sunday’s Leinster Championships at Dysert, Co Laois – you can read all about them in the previous news item.
On April 12th you can go to NWOC’s event at Somerset Forest, Coleraine, and on the 13th you have a choice of Cork or Kerry for your orienteering fix: Crohane Lake (Killarney) or Curragh Wood (Midleton).
After that it’s off to Wales for the Jan Kjellstrom O-Festival, with more than 3000 competitors from all over the world. The 3ROC relay team of Ger Butler, Colm Moran and Eoin McCullough will be having a crack at the JK Trophy on Easter Monday.
The weekend after Easter sees events at Belfast Castle and Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny (Saturday) and at Inch, Malahide, Strokestown and Kilkenny (all on Sunday). The closest is Fingal’s Malahide Castle Relays on Sunday 27th. Details of all these events are on www.orienteering.ie.
Only days after that we’re into the Irish Championships, with the Sprint in Maynooth (May 2nd) and the remaining three events around the Wicklow Gap on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Remember, entries close on April 15th : details here (later extended to April 25th).
- Fitness training continues at UCD, Belfield at 6.30 on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Let us know if you’d like to run on a 3ROC relay team at the Irish Championships
- We’re ordering more orienteering suit tops, so let Lindie know your size if you want one
- The evening orienteering events start for the summer at Donadea on Tuesday May 13th.
- The Wdenesday evening mountain races have also started: see the IMRA web site here for details.
In the meantime, Happy Easter!